Thursday, July 25, 2013

Banana Bread with Toasted Walnuts

If you're anything like me you always have over ripe bananas in your kitchen.  I love bananas but only when they're barely ripe.  Not even. I like them when they are still firm and even just a little green.  To me there is almost nothing as unappetizing as a banana that is fully ripe or starting to become mottled with brown spots.  Because of this I always have bananas in my kitchen that I won't eat as is.  As a result I've tried many, many recipes for Banana Bread and this is the best I've found so far. It has a deep banana flavor, plenty of moisture, and a nice, light texture.  With a cup of coffee it makes the perfect afternoon snack but it's also a great treat for breakfast.




Best Banana Bread Recipe 
12 servings, 1 loaf
      
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1/2 cup sugar
      3/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped
      3 ripe, soft, darkly speckled large bananas, mashed well (about 1 1/2
      cups)
      1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use Greek)
      2 large eggs, beaten lightly
      6 tablespoons butter, melted then cooled
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
 Grease and flour bottom and sides of nonstick 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
  Combine dry ingredients together in large bowl and set aside.
  Mix mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with wooden spoon in
  medium bowl.
  Lightly fold banana mixture into dry ingredients with rubber spatula until
  just combined and batter looks thick and chunky.
  Pour batter into prepared loaf pan; bake until loaf is golden brown and
  toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
  Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
  Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for 4 days, on the
  counter for 2 days. 

 As I mentioned this is the best recipe I've found so far but if you have one that you think is great I'd love to try it too!  Drop me a line or send me a link.

No comments: